If you love chocolate cupcakes then you'll love this rich recipe with a tasty chocolate sour cream frosting as well.
- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup plus 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 170g bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 tablespoon (64g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. sour cream
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract; whisk together.
- Add to the dry ingredients and mix with wooden spoon until mixture is combine.
- Add the boiling water and stir just to combine (batter will be thin).
- Transfer batter to prepared pans, filling each liner about 2/3 of the way full, approximately 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake approximately 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans about five minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Set aside to cool until just barely warm. (I melted my chocolate in the microwave, stir every 30s to avoid burning the chocolate!)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium-high speed until pale.
- Gradually mix in the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and salt, beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the melted and cooled chocolate and then the sour cream.
- Continue beating until the mixture is smooth and well blended.
- Frost cupcakes immediately.