Sometimes, it's nice to try something different from the usual mashed potatoes at holiday dinners, this au gratin is definitely a nice substitution for that.
- Olive oil spray
- 2 huge sweet potatoes, sliced 1/4” thick (I used a mandoline.)
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced 1/8” thick (Again, I used a mandoline.)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (my attempt to thicken it)
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Chipotle Chile’s in Adobo Sauce (plus 1 tsp adobo sauce)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Spray a 3-4 quart casserole dish with olive oil.
- In a blender or food processor, process the chipotle chilies, milk, and nutritional yeast until smooth.
- Begin with a layer of sweet potatoes (about 2-3 cups) on the bottom of the casserole then a layer of half the onion. Add some of the chile-cream mixture (1/3 of the total), salt and pepper. Add another layer of sweet potato and the remaining onion and repeat with chile-cream, salt and pepper. Top with remaining sweet potatoes ending on the last of the chile-cream, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 1 hour (or until potatoes are tender), stirring part way through if the top begins to become dry. Serve hot or room temperature.