This spicy, robust salad is perfect as a lunch dish on its own or as a side to a nice roast or steak...
- 2 medium red onions
- 4 tsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups mixed greens
- a handful of coriander/parsley leaves
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 30g walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 0r 1 red chilli (depending how hot) deseeded & finely chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 3 tsp sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- Preheat the oven to 200.
- Peel the onions and cut off the tops and bottoms.
- Cut each onion into two or three slices about 2cm thick and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush with olive oil, season with salt and black pepper, and roast for about 20 minutes, until cooked and golden-brown on top.
- If they haven’t browned much you can pop them under the grill for a few minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- While the onions are cooking, put the walnuts, red chilli, garlic, vinegar and 2 tsp of olive oil in a small bowl, season with salt & black pepper, stir and set aside.
- To serve, put the salad leaves and most of the coriander/parsley in bowl, add about half of the dressing and toss to coat evenly.
- Divide this between your serving plates, arrange the onion slices on top, add some more dressing, crumble over the feta and finish with some more coriander/parsley leaves.